Monday, May 18, 2009

CMJR 450 - Blog Question for Week 8

Nyanko-Yuki: Question 2

As our text states,(page 248) "... a social movement need not establish that it, its cause, or its methods are without flaw but only that it is larger than an institution or opposing movements claims, that it is more honorable than institutions of countermovements, etc."
What do you do when a social movement and opposing movement have equal support, i.e., Pro-life vs. Pro-choice? It is my opinion when this occurs that we, as individuals, are influenced by what each persuasive argument is presented in defense of or opposition of the issue. This particular issue is fueled by moral and religious conflict. It has been the topic of medical and ethical discussions around the world. Roe vs. Wade changed the dynamics of abortion when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of legalized abortion. The controversy continues from both sides.
Do you think one movement is more "just" than the other? In fact, yes I do. Pro-Choice allows victims of rape and incest to seek professional medical care at an incredibly difficult time in the life of the victim. We cannot morally judge in these cases, as the resulting pregnancies are horrific for innocent victims.
What beliefs and/or ethics support your views? I was raised Catholic and, thus, am aware that the Catholic Church teaches that abortion is against God's law. I believe that life does begin at conception and those who argue that point are kidding themselves. However, I have never been in a position where I have had to make this type of choice. I would like to believe that I would be wise enough and thoughtful enough to avoid an unwanted pregnancy with all the birth control that is available to us in these times. I feel that there are those among us who actually consider abortion a form of birth control. I know of several individuals who have had 3or 4 abortions. It does make me wonder if perhaps individuals would be more mindful of contraception if abortions weren't so assessible.
Does it always have to be black or white, or should ethical values be viewed in grey? Ethical values are never black or white. There are always extenuating circumstances that can effect the choices we are faced with. Our individual ethical values are the result of our upbringing, education, religious background, ethnic background and life experiences. Our moral and ethical values can evolve as we experience life situations. With age comes wisdom and with wisdom comes the ability to make thoughtful choices regarding social movements. I am the same person I was at 15. However, my opinions and direction change from day to day as I acquire more knowledge and responsibility. I would expect this to be the same for all of us. Certainly our ethical values are "grey", but as we mature and acquire knowledge, the black and white vision of our society becomes more apparent.

No comments: